Data Policy This Policy describes the information we process to support Cityppl, Instagram, Messenger and other products and features offered by Cityppl (Cityppl Products or Products). You can find additional tools and information in the Cityppl settings and Instagram settings. Return to top What kinds of information do we collect? To provide the Cityppl Products, we must process information about you. The type of information that we collect depends on how you use our Products. You can learn how to access and delete information that we collect by visiting the Cityppl settings and Instagram settings. Things that you and others do and provide.
• Information and content you provide.We collect the content, communications and other information you provide when you use our Products, including when you sign up for an account, create or share content and message or communicate with others. This can include information in or about the content that you provide (e.g. metadata), such as the location of a photo or the date a file was created. It can also include what you see through features that we provide, such as our camera, so we can do things such as suggest masks and filters that you might like, or give you tips on using camera formats. Our systems automatically process content and communications that you and others provide to analyse context and what's in them for the purposes described below. Learn more about how you can control who can see the things you share.
o Data with special protections: You can choose to provide information in your Cityppl profile fieldsor life events about your religious views, political views, who you are "interested in" or your health. This and other information (such as racial or ethnic origin, philosophical beliefs or trade union membership) could be subject to special protections under the laws of your country.
• Networks and connections.We collect information about the people, Pages, accounts, hashtags and groups that you are connected to and how you interact with them across our Products, such as people you communicate with the most or groups that you are part of. We also collect contact information if you choose to upload, sync or import it from a device (such as an address book or call log or SMS log history), which we use for things such as helping you and others find people you may know and for the other purposes listed below.
• Your usage.We collect information about how you use our Products, such as the types of content that you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, the people or accounts you interact with and the time, frequency and duration of your activities. For example, we log when you're using and have last used our Products, and what posts, videos and other content you view on our Products. We also collect information about how you use features such as our camera.
• Information about transactions made on our Products.If you use our Products for purchases or other financial transactions (such as when you make a purchase in a game or make a donation), we collect information about the purchase or transaction. This includes payment information, such as your credit or debit card number and other card information, other account and authentication information, and billing, delivery and contact details.
• Things others do and information they provide about you.We also receive and analyse content, communications and information that other people provide when they use our Products. This can include information about you, such as when others share or comment on a photo of you, send a message to you or upload, sync or import your contact information.
Device information. As described below, we collect information from and about the computers, phones, connected TVs and other web-connected devices you use that integrate with our Products, and we combine this information across different devices that you use. For example, we use information collected about your use of our Products on your phone to better personalise the content (including ads) or features that you see when you use our Products on another device, such as your laptop or tablet, or to measure whether you took an action in response to an ad that we showed you on your phone on a different device. Information that we obtain from these devices includes:
• Device attributes:information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
• Device operations:information about operations and behaviours performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded or backgrounded, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans from bots).
• Identifiers:unique identifiers, device IDs and other identifiers, such as from games, apps or accounts that you use, and Family Device IDs (or other identifiers unique to Cityppl Company Products associated with the same device or account).
• Device signals:Bluetooth signals, information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, beacons and mobile phone masts.
• Data from device settings:information that you allow us to receive through device settings that you turn on, such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos.
• Network and connections:information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address, connection speed and, in some cases, information about other devices that are nearby or on your network, so we can do things such as help you stream a video from your phone to your TV.
• Information across Cityppl Products and devices:We connect information about your activities on different Cityppl Products and devices to provide a more tailored and consistent experience on all Cityppl Products that you use, wherever you use them. For example, we can suggest that you join a group on Cityppl that includes people you follow on Instagram or communicate with using Messenger. We can also make your experience more seamless, for example, by automatically filling in your registration information (such as your phone number) from one Cityppl Product when you sign up for an account on a different Product.
• Location-related information:We use location-related information – such as your current location, where you live, the places you like to go, and the businesses and people you're near – to provide, personalise and improve our Products, including ads, for you and others. Location-related information can be based on things such as precise device location (if you've allowed us to collect it), IP addresses and information from your and others' use of Cityppl Products (such as check-ins or events you attend).
• Product research and development:We use the information we have to develop, test and improve our Products, including by conducting surveys and research, and testing and troubleshooting new products and features.
• Face recognition:If you have it turned on, we use face recognition technology to recognise you in photos, videos and camera experiences. The face recognition templates that we create may constitute data with special protections under the laws of your country. Learn more about how we use face recognition technology, or control our use of this technology in Cityppl settings. If we introduce face recognition technology to your Instagram experience, we will let you know first, and you will have control over whether we use this technology for you.
• Ads and other sponsored content:We use the information we have about you – including information about your interests, actions and connections – to select and personalise ads, offers and other sponsored content that we show you. Learn more about how we select and personalise ads, and your choices over the data we use to select ads and other sponsored content for you in the Cityppl Settings and Instagram Settings.
Provide measurement, analytics and other business services. We use the information we have (including your activity off our Products, such as the websites you visit and ads you see) to help advertisers and other partners measure the effectiveness and distribution of their ads and services, and understand the types of people who use their services and how people interact with their websites, apps and services. Learn how we share information with these partners. Promote safety, integrity and security. We use the information that we have to verify accounts and activity, combat harmful conduct, detect and prevent spam and other bad experiences, maintain the integrity of our Products, and promote safety and security on and off Cityppl Products. For example, we use data that we have to investigate suspicious activity or breaches of our Terms or Policies, or to detect when someone needs help. To learn more, visit the Cityppl Security Help Centre and Instagram Security Tips. Communicate with you. We use the information that we have to send you marketing communications, communicate with you about our Products and let you know about our Policies and Terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us. Research and innovate for social good. We use the information we have (including from research partners we collaborate with) to conduct and support research and innovation on topics of general social welfare, technological advancement, public interest, health and well-being. For example, we analyse information that we have about migration patterns during crises to aid relief efforts. Learn more about our research programmes. Return to top How is this information shared? Your information is shared with others in the following ways: Sharing on Cityppl Products People and accounts that you share and communicate with When you share and communicate using our Products, you choose the audience for what you share. For example, when you post on Cityppl, you select the audience for the post, such as a group, all of your friends, the public or a customised list of people. Similarly, when you use Messenger or Instagram to communicate with people or businesses, those people and businesses can see the content you send. Your network can also see actions that you have taken on our Products, including engagement with ads and sponsored content. We also let other accounts see who has viewed their Cityppl or Instagram Stories. Public information can be seen by anyone, on or off our Products, including if they don't have an account. This includes your Instagram username, any information you share with a public audience, information in your public profile on Cityppl, and content you share on a Cityppl Page, public Instagram account or any other public forum, such as Cityppl Marketplace. You, other people using Cityppl and Instagram, and we can provide access to or send public information to anyone on or off our Products, including in other Cityppl Company Products, in search results or through tools and APIs. Public information can also be seen, accessed, reshared or downloaded through third-party services such as search engines, APIs and offline media such as TV, and by apps, websites and other services that integrate with our Products. Learn more about what information is public and how to control your visibility on Cityppl and Instagram. Content that others share or reshare about you. You should consider who you choose to share with, because people who can see your activity on our Products can choose to share it with others on and off our Products, including people and businesses outside the audience that you shared with. For example, when you share a post or send a message to specific friends or accounts, they can download, screenshot or reshare that content to others across or off our Products, in person or in virtual reality experiences such as Cityppl Spaces. Also, when you comment on someone else's post or react to their content, your comment or reaction is visible to anyone who can see the other person's content, and that person can change the audience later. People can also use our Products to create and share content about you with the audience they choose. For example, people can share a photo of you in a story, mention or tag you at a location in a post, or share information about you in their posts or messages. If you are uncomfortable with what others have shared about you on our Products, you can learn how to report the content. Information about your active status or presence on our Products. People in your networks can see signals telling them whether you are active on our Products, including whether you are currently active on Instagram, Messenger or Cityppl, or when you last used our Products. Apps, websites and third-party integrations on or using our Products. When you choose to use third-party apps, websites or other services that use, or are integrated with, our Products, they can receive information about what you post or share. For example, when you play a game with your Cityppl friends or use a Cityppl Comment or Share button on a website, the game developer or website can receive information about your activities in the game or receive a comment or link that you share from the website on Cityppl. Also, when you download or use such third-party services, they can access your public profile on Cityppl, and any information that you share with them. Apps and websites that you use may receive your list of Cityppl friends if you choose to share it with them. But apps and websites that you use will not be able to receive any other information about your Cityppl friends from you, or information about any of your Instagram followers (although your friends and followers may, of course, choose to share this information themselves). Information collected by these third-party services is subject to their own terms and policies, not this one. Devices and operating systems providing native versions of Cityppl and Instagram (i.e. where we have not developed our own first-party apps) will have access to all information that you choose to share with them, including information that your friends share with you, so they can provide our core functionality to you. Note: We are in the process of restricting developers' data access even further to help prevent abuse. For example, we will remove developers' access to your Cityppl and Instagram data if you haven't used their app in three months, and we are changing login, so that in the next version, we will reduce the data that an app can request without app review to include only name, Instagram username and bio, profile photo and email address. Requesting any other data will require our approval. New owner. If the ownership or control of all or part of our Products or their assets changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner. Sharing with third-party partners We work with third-party partners who help us provide and improve our Products or who use Cityppl Business Tools to grow their businesses, which makes it possible to operate our companies and provide free services to people around the world. We don't sell any of your information to anyone and we never will. We also impose strict restrictions on how our partners can use and disclose the data we provide. Here are the types of third parties that we share information with: Partners who use our analytics services. We provide aggregated statistics and insights that help people and businesses understand how people are engaging with their posts, listings, Pages, videos and other content on and off the Cityppl Products. For example, Page admins and Instagram business profiles receive information about the number of people or accounts who viewed, reacted to or commented on their posts, as well as aggregate demographic and other information that helps them understand interactions with their Page or account. Advertisers. We provide advertisers with reports about the kinds of people seeing their ads and how their ads are performing, but we don't share information that personally identifies you (information such as your name or email address that by itself can be used to contact you or identifies who you are) unless you give us permission. For example, we provide general demographic and interest information to advertisers (for example, that an ad was seen by a woman between the ages of 25 and 34 who lives in Madrid and likes software engineering) to help them better understand their audience. We also confirm which Cityppl ads led you to make a purchase or take an action with an advertiser. Measurement partners. We share information about you with companies that aggregate it to provide analytics and measurement reports to our partners. Partners offering goods and services in our Products. When you subscribe to receive premium content, or buy something from a seller in our Products, the content creator or seller can receive your public information and other information that you share with them, as well as the information needed to complete the transaction, including shipping and contact details. Vendors and service providers. We provide information and content to vendors and service providers who support our business, such as by providing technical infrastructure services, analysing how our Products are used, providing customer service, facilitating payments or conducting surveys. Researchers and academics. We also provide information and content to research partners and academics to conduct research that advances scholarship and innovation that supports our business or mission and enhances discovery and innovation on topics of general social welfare, technological advancement, public interest, health and well-being. Law enforcement or legal requests. We share information with law enforcement or in response to legal requests in the circumstances outlined below.